How to Spell Successful
11 min read
In a world where written communication is paramount, knowing how to spell words correctly is crucial. One word that often finds itself in the spotlight is successful. This article dives into the correct spelling of successful, its definition, pronunciation, usage, common mistakes, and memory aids to ensure you never misspell it again.
Correct Spelling of Successful
The correct spelling of the word we are focusing on is successful. It is important to note the double 'c' and 's' in the middle of the word, which is a common area of confusion.
Definition of Successful
Successful refers to the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. It can also describe someone or something that has achieved popularity, profit, or distinction.
Transcription of Successful
The phonetic transcription of successful is /səkˈses.fəl/. This can help with understanding how to pronounce the word correctly, ensuring clarity in verbal communication.
Examples of Using of Successful
- With hard work and determination, she became very successful in her career.
- The launch of the product was highly successful, exceeding initial sales forecasts.
- He gave a successful presentation at the conference, receiving much applause.
Common Spelling Mistakes
- Successfull - incorrect because it adds an unnecessary 'l' at the end
- Sucesful - incorrect due to the omission of one 'c' and the incorrect single 's'
- Successfull - the doubling of the 'l' is a frequent mistake, but only one 'l' is correct
These errors often stem from misunderstanding the word's structure and phonetic composition.
How to Remember the Correct Spelling
A useful memory aid for spelling successful is to think of it as containing 'success' followed by 'ful'. Another tip is to remember that the word has double 'c' and double 's', much like the word "necessary" has double 'c' and double 's'.
FAQWhat does the word mean?
Words Closely Related: Achieved, accomplished, victorious.
Synonyms: Prosperous, thriving, triumphant, victorious.
Difference in American and British Versions
There is no difference between American and British English in the spelling of successful. Both versions spell the word as successful.
In which academic dictionaries you can find this word
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- Cambridge Dictionary
#Spelling #Grammar #EnglishLanguage #LearningEnglish #Vocabulary