How to Spell Finally
11 min read
Mastering the correct spelling of commonly mispelled words can significantly improve your writing. This article provides an in-depth look at how to spell finally, accompanied by its definition, transcription, usage examples, common spelling mistakes, and effective memory aids to ensure you never get it wrong.
Correct Spelling of Finally
The correct spelling of the keyword in question is finally. This term is often used to indicate the end of a period or process and is a word that features regularly in both formal and informal writing. Remembering the correct spelling can enhance the readability and professionalism of your texts.
Definition of Finally
Finally is an adverb meaning 'after a long time, typically involving difficulty or delay,' or 'as the last point or action in a series.' It signifies the conclusion or the ultimate in a sequence of events.
Transcription of Finally
The transcription for finally in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) terms is /ˈfaɪnəli/. This illustrates how the word should be pronounced, guiding speakers to achieve clear and correct enunciation.
Examples of Using Finally
- After years of hard work, she finally achieved her dream of becoming a doctor.
- We finally reached the summit after climbing for several hours.
- He finally admitted he was wrong after the evidence was presented.
- The movie finally started after a 30-minute delay.
Common Spelling Mistakes
- Finallly - adding an extra 'l' is a common error that disrupts the correct spelling
- Finaly - missing an 'l' simplifies the word incorrectly, leading to an inaccurate representation
- Finnaly - incorrectly doubling 'n' instead of 'l' is a frequent mistake.
These errors typically arise from over-reliance on phonetic spelling or typos. Understanding and practicing the correct form is crucial for improvement.
How Can Remember the Correct Spelling
To memorize the spelling of finally, you can split it into syllables (fi-nal-ly) and practice writing it out several times. Associating the word with common phrases or personal experiences can also aid in retention. Another technique is to remember that "all good things come to an end," linking the theme of conclusion with the word itself.
FAQWhat does the word mean?
How to spell in Spanish?
Are words Closely Related? Lastly, ultimately, eventually.
Synonyms? Eventually, ultimately, at last.
There are no notable differences between the American and British versions of the word finally; it is spelled the same in both varieties of English.
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- Cambridge Dictionary
#Spelling #Grammar #Proofreading #WritingSkills #EnglishLanguageLearning