How Do You Spell Delicious?
11 min read
Delving into the correct spelling of some of the most commonly miswritten words, this article focuses on the appetizing word delicious. Learn not just how to spell it, but also its usage, common mistakes, and tips for remembering its correct form.
Correct Spelling of Delicious
The correct spelling of the word is delicious. It encompasses all the succulence and tastiness the word implies. Ensuring the correct spelling in your writing will enhance clarity and professionalism.
Definition of Delicious
The term delicious refers to a highly pleasant taste. It is often used to describe foods and flavors that are particularly appealing to the palate. The word is synonymous with delectable, mouth-watering, and tasty.
Transcription of Delicious
The phonetic transcription of delicious is /dɪˈlɪʃəs/. This representation helps in understanding the pronunciation of the word, making it easier to spell and recognize in spoken language.
Examples of Using Delicious
- The chef prepared a particularly delicious meal that wowed all the guests.
- She described the dessert as the most delicious she had ever tasted.
- Freshly baked bread has a delicious aroma that fills the kitchen.
- For our anniversary, we went to a restaurant known for its delicious seafood.
Common Spelling Mistakes
- Delicous - missing the second 'i' after 'c'
- Delicoius - incorrect placement of 'i' and 'o'
- Deliscious - an additional 's' that does not belong
- Dilicious - incorrect vowel 'i' instead of the first 'e'
These variations are incorrect because they deviate from the standard spelling of delicious, which can lead to confusion and misinterpretation in written communication.
How Can Remember the Correct Spelling
To remember that delicious includes every vowel except 'a' and 'u', and progresses from 'e' right towards 'u' alphabetically (though skipping 'a'), you might use a mnemonic like - Every Delicious Item Comes In Our Usual Store. This connects the correct spelling with a vivid memory or association, aiding recall.
FAQWhat does the word mean?
Words Closely Related: tasty, scrumptious, delectable, savory.
Synonyms: mouth-watering, appetizing, yummy, luscious.
Difference Between American and British Versions
There is no difference in spelling between American and British versions of the word delicious. Both dialects use the same spelling and pronunciation.
In Which Academic Dictionaries Can You Find This Word
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- Cambridge Dictionary
#Delicious #CorrectSpelling #EnglishGrammar #SpellingTips #FoodieWords