How do you spell angel
11 min read
Understanding the correct spelling of words is crucial for clear communication. In this article, we will explore the correct spelling of angel, its definition, transcription, and usage. Additionally, we'll look at common spelling mistakes and strategies for remembering the correct spelling to enhance your writing skills.
Correct spelling of angel
The correct spelling of the keyword is angel. This spelling is used consistently in English-speaking countries to refer to a spiritual being believed to act as a messenger of God or a guardian spirit.
Definition of angel
An angel is defined as a supernatural being found in various religions and mythologies. In many traditions, angels are considered to be benevolent celestial intermediaries between God (or the gods) and humanity. Others view them as protectors or guides for individuals.
Transcription of angel
The standard phonetic transcription of angel in British English is /ˈeɪndʒəl/ and in American English is /ˈeɪndʒəl/, highlighting the pronunciation is consistent across these variations of English.
Examples of using of angel
- She believes her guardian angel watches over her always.
- According to biblical tradition, an angel announced the birth of Jesus.
- He's always been an angel in times of need, providing help without being asked.
Common spelling mistakes
- Angle - confusing angel with angle, which refers to a figure formed by two lines diverging from a common point
- Angal - a phonetic misspelling from misunderstanding the pronunciation
- Anjel - an incorrect attempt to phoneticize the soft 'g' sound in angel
These spellings are considered incorrect as they represent different words or misunderstand the phonetics of angel.
How can remember the correct spelling
To remember that angel is spelled with 'g' and not with a 'j', associate the 'g' in angel with 'guardian' since an angel is often considered a guardian. This mental association can help reinforce the correct spelling in your memory.
FAQWhat does the word mean?
How to spell in Spanish?
Words Closely Related - Seraphim, cherub, archangel.
Synonyms - Messenger, seraph, guardian spirit.
Difference in American and British versions
There is no difference in spelling or usage of the word angel between American and British English. Both variants adhere to the same spelling and pronunciation.
In which academic dictionaries you can find this word
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
- Cambridge Dictionary
#angel #spelling #grammar #English #definition #pronunciation #writingtips